Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Please Help by signing the Petition

This is the face of a little girl that has been denied access to America by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for the new TB protocols.
These protocols also apply to children adopted abroad by U.S. citizens.
My neighbors received the referral of this precious child 11 months ago and gave her the name Jaylee. Everything that Jaylee has had to go through is nothing less than bullshit.
Jaylee had pneumonia at age 1 1/2, and they suspected TB due to the x-ray. So she went on 6 months of TB meds that ended mid Dec. In Feb & March she had another set of x-rays as part of the Visa process where they still concluded that TB was probable, though she has NEVER tested positive for TB. So they induced coughing to gather a sputum sample to which she could not do because she's only 2! So they hospitalized her after 3 months of arguing if this was even needed. They hospitalized her in order to do a gatric lavage to gather the sample over 3 days for a smear and culture that has to sit there for 42 days. 42 MORE DAYS OF WAITING. By the end of next week, they will have the results of that test. The smear came back negative for TB, which is a good sign but it will mean nothing if her culture doesn't come back negative as well. If it is positive, Jaylee will stay in the Philippians Orphanage and this family will not be able to bring her home.
Even though she was given the 6 months of medicine, the CDC will not accept that because it was not witnessed because she is in a Social Welfare System.
Meanwhile, this family continues to wait, hope & pray.
We are asking you to please go here:
and sign this petition calling on the CDC to eliminate the new TB protocols for children adopted abroad by U.S. citizens on the grounds that they are unnecessary for this population.

& if you'd like to read about this happening to another family right now in China who has officially adopted their daughter and will have to place her back in an orphanage and return to the US without her so they can go through the bullshit process above, you can read their story here: http://jayscruggs.livejournal.com/
My daughter was given a TB shot when she was a in the orphanage, if tested, she would have tested positive for TB as well. In fact, she will always test positive even if we opted to give her the 6 months of medicine. This protocol is totally unfair to the lives of children and families trying to bring their children home.
Please sign your name to this petition.

13 comments:

Joan said...

This is so bad. I just can't stand the roadblocks our government puts in the way. I signed the petition yesterday and it had 900 some signatures. I checked today and it has 1600 some. Thanks for putting the word out another way

Polar Bear said...

I read about this last week and went straight away to sign the petition. It's so sad, so very sad. What next? I'm so tired of all of these hoops - so very tired.

Anonymous said...

T- She is beautiful. I signed!

Mom

Kim said...

Signed.... twice.. John and I...
Thanks ...

nerdgirl said...

I've signed too. For all intent and purposes this child is now and American citizen and deserves to be here....it's total BS. She would get better medical care here- sounds like a job for former President Clinton...

Pug Mama said...

done.
If H was just a few months older, she would have had to do the test before we could have brought her back home. I thank God she didn't have to.
My heart is broken for your friend - I remember meeting her while I was at your home, and she was just so sweet. Prayers being sent her way.

Meg said...

this is insane....any tom dick or harry can get a visa and bring whatever disease they want in but these children have to sit and wait for more red tape? I'll go sign it- and then make a few phone calls.....this is ridiculous.
Meg

Jennifer in Miami said...

Just signed....Unbelievable!!!!!!!

Mindi said...

I signed...praying for this sweet girl and her family.

M :-) said...

She is SO beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this - I am absolutely heartbroken for the families going through this crap right now. IT IS NOT RIGHT! I will go and sign the petition right now.

Tawni said...

My heart hurts...

t

Special K said...

I pray for Michelle often. I hope she brings Jaylee home very soon. This wait for her has gone on for far far too long.

I signed a few days ago. Thanks for spreading the word.

Kristy said...

DONE!!!!! I would do anything for those beautiful eyes!!

Love and blessings, Kristy