Friday, May 29, 2009

The Last Tango In Jiangxi

We're packing up our bags and heading to Guangzhou! Some parting thoughts as we leave the place that has given us the greatest gift ever......

It’s really overwhelming to think that we only arrived here 6 days ago and now we're ready to leave with the most beautiful gift ever, our daughter. She's more than we could have ever imagined. She really is sweet to the core.

Yesterday, we had the amazing experience of visiting a village about an hour or so from Nanchang. It was a beautiful place, surrounded by lush greenery, rice fields and tons of brick that looks very historic. The people were so kind and wanted us to visit their homes and see their way of life. As we walked around the village, we passed out stickers and hair clippies to all the little boys and girls. If you're traveling soon, I suggest bringing something to pass out. I really wanted to bring suckers, but due to the weight limit issue with the luggage, I didn’t. Next time I'd probably ditch some clothing in order to make room for more goodies for the children of China.

We then visited the Tengwang Pavillion which was magnificent in beauty. They performed a show on the 6th floor and then we walked around the grounds before heading back to our hotel. We had the best lunch thus far at a little restaurant right around the corner called East Orient Hotel Restaurant. I highly recommend that place.

We have thoroughly enjoyed our time here and really soaked it all in, but we are ready for Guangzhou. Actually, I'm ready for home. I miss my boys! And I can not wait to breathe some breezy salt air. LOL! We haven't seen the sun since arriving in Jiangxi. It's the rainy season here, but it’s just a tad different than the rainy season I'm used to in Florida. At home, the sun shines all day and takes a break for an hour or two while we get a huge downpour of rain. But the sun always comes back out. I really need sun! :)

I’ve also had nonstop head pressure since arriving. It could be the fact that I've had zero caffeine, could be the altitude. I have no idea what the altitude is here, but it’s got to be higher than SW Fla, which sits at sea level. I’m also thinking this hotel has some mold issues, which you can see behind the wallpaper. We're ready for a change of scenery and I’m hoping that fireworks aren't going off below our hotel window in Guangzhou at 6:00 in the morning. Emerson loved that. =0( Our air machine got fried the first night in Beijing when we plugged it in. Oh and we also managed to fry an outlet strip and a hair straightener.

Off we go….for the next exciting adventure on this journey!

19 comments:

Lindsay said...

You seem to be wrecking havoc with the electricity grid of China!

Hope y'all manage to get a good night's sleep. It sounds like you are having a great time, but I can understand your wish to be home with all your kids together.

Best wishes.

C's Mom said...

Love those pics in the last post...just beautiful. Truly.

You are in for a REAL treat in Guangzhou. I LOVED it there and it was extra special after also experiencing the rainy season in Nanchang. Looking back it was, by far, my favorite part of the trip. Of course, this is helped along by the fact that by the time you get there your babe is in arms :0)

Almost there!

Catherine said...

Safe travels! Praying for all of you as you head to Guangzhou.

Colleen said...

I too was sad to leave Jiangxi - but the next part of your adventure will be fabulous!! New scenery, beautiful hotel, GREAT breakfasts, lots of shopping. I hope you get to do the Pearl River dinner cruise. Make sure you have a pigeon head. LOL...

You visited the same village that we did. Only it was near 110 degrees when we were there. It was hard to walk around and soak it all up then, but it was beautiful. I love that you passed out little goodies to the kids.

Oh I am SO sure you need some sun and salt air breezes. Enjoy the rest of your journey.

Alyson and Ford said...

Making your way to Guangzhou is always a good feeling. Another step closer to home and a routine :) And shopping!
peace
fm

Kim said...

Sounds like a great day...
I sooooo LOVED the photos of the kids in the village..
I can only imagine.. we have SUN all day every day even in monsoon season.. it just makes for a wonderful day..
Have a safe flight.. and from what I hear you are on the last leg and most beautiful of them all..
HUGS..
Can't wait for more photos..
CONGRATULATIONS again.. Emerson is sooooo BEAUTIFUL..

Jennifer in Miami said...

First of all I don't think I told you yet how beautiful she is. She makes you smile when you see her. Second, it has been raining off and on all week down here, so paradise has been a little steamy. I know exactly how you feel about missing the boys, I missed my guys so much it hurt. Enjoy the last leg of your trip and continue to love on that baby girl.....

Daniella said...

safe travels on this part of your journey. It's funny because when I've been looking at your pics I noticed no sun but see your true floridian ways with your sunglasses on - it's a florida thing/glare thing for sure. Our daily showers are starting up here in SW Fl you'll be back just in time for them :)

Pug Mama said...

I can't believe you are on your last leg of your journey - seems unreal - went by fast. (at least for us sitting at home, it seemed to go by fast!)
I love that you got to go the village - I hope we can also. I am more interested in going to the village than the orphanage.
Keep giving that sweet baby kisses from her Aunties.
I can't even begin to imagine how much you must miss your boys. That will be the hardest part of the journey for me.

Gretchen said...

What amazing pictures. Thank you for posting them! We were in Nanchang during SARS and didn't go out to a village. That was the one thing I really wanted to see so I can share the images with my daughter one day (who at 7 is now really starting to ask). Emerson is just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your pix are so moving of your travels! Got a really good glimpse of life there. These are framer pix, for sure!!! Look how snuggly Emerson is with mommy. You all make a beautiful family! Have a good rest of the trip and congrats, mommy and daddy!

~Shery from CA

Alyson and Ford said...

I have to tell you this.

AA and I sit together and look at your pictures. Each time AA sees a picture of you and Emerson together she says "Oooooooo, baby, mama!"
:) peace :)
fm

LaLa said...

Have a wonderful trip to GZ! Be sure and eat at Cow and Bride (Thai rest) on the island. I know you've been told about a Gift from China so be sure and go there...happy shopping!!!

LOVE all the pics of sweet girl : )

3 Peanuts said...

Have a great time on Eme's first flight! I am sure you really miss your boys but how wonderful for you and J and Emerson to just be loving on each other right now too. I am going through picture withdrawal today. I need more of cutie Emerson!

Robin said...

Enjoy Guangzhou. I felt the most at home there. :0) wish we could have stayed at the white swan, I hear it's amazing. We walked through the lobby and such while we were there and thought it looked amazing! Also had to stop to get a red couch picture of Maddy. :0)

Truly Blessed said...

We also were awakened at 6:00 am one morning in Nanchang to fireworks (big and LOUD!) being shot off just blocks from our hotel. Our guide told us that fireworks are shot off when someone dies or is married...sure enough on the Saturday we were in Nanchang we saw six or seven weddings and EVERY one of them had huge rolls of fire crackers going off (leaving a huge mess behind them - and one little woman with a whisk broom to clean them all up).

China...it's an amazing place!

Enjoy Guangzhou, Shamian Island and the White Swan!

A Beautiful Mess said...

You will love GZ. Shopping and relaxation, and time with your daughter.

We had the most fun in GZ. Wish my dad had come with us the rest of the trip he would have liked it.

Have fun!

k1 said...

Ah yes, the early morning fireworks. We had them at 5am the first time in Beijing. Aparently they were for a death/funeral.

We were in Jiangxi almost exactly a year ago. We had rain once I think, but my oh my was it HOT and muggy! We had a little Emerson in our group too. I think she also lives down in Florida... or Georgia. One of the two.

Have fun in Guangzhou. First trip we spent 17 days there. Second trip only 3. Something in between would have been perfect.

Your daughter is beautiful by the way!

Sally said...

You are SOOO doing the right thing by bonding to her and holding her tight for now. This is a big learning time for her and you are very wise to let NO ONE handle her but you for the time being. Good job!!!