Friday, May 29, 2009

We are in White Swan heaven!


The fireworks below our hotel window that went off starting at 6:00 AM several times to celebrate that a wedding was taking place...


Happy Birthday in China Daddy!


Celebrating her first birthday that we missed with Daddy:


The Shangrao Orphanage babies:


Leaving Jiangxi:



We arrived in GZ last night late. We are really hungry because we missed lunch and dinner yesterday so this will be short, we are anxious to get down to the famous buffet and see what delish things we can find. The differences between Nanchang and GZ are night and day. The guide said that the weather would be very Florida like....HALL~E~LU~JAH!

Backing up to yesterday though, we laid low in the room and went out once to visit all the little stores and walk around. It was the best day we had had so far as far as weather goes. The ladies in the hotel brought J up a birthday cake to wish him well, which was the sweetest thing ever. We were both really caught off guard by that kind gesture and decided it was perfect to celebrate Daddy's and Eme's birthday, since we missed her first one. She loved the cake, except for the small pineapple pieces in it. She's not a fruit fan which I find shocking and she would spit those pieces out, but the rest she loved.

Daddy and Eme made great strides together playing and laughing and she gave him several more kisses that she normally would. Things were much better. I could actually leave the room and go to the restroom while she was awake and she would just play on the bed with him watching. She used the king size bed as a great place to learn to roll. She's getting around good and the tummy time is helping her muscles get stronger.

However, I pushed her limits when I decided to not take her to restroom with me after we got off the plane. Though I have mastered the squatty potty with the baby strapped on to me, it's highly inconvenient. I took off the ergo and handed her to Daddy. I ran into the bathroom and thought things were going well, since I didn't hear her crying. When I came out, Eme was sitting on the airport floor, her and Daddy were covered in vomit. She just got so upset and I felt horrible. She's just not ready to let anyone else into her heart right now. I know J understands, but it is hard on him.

Before take off we had a good time in the room with several other couples finishing up the birthday cake, the beer, the pringles and the cookies we had bought from the store. We have a very large group and all the babies are doing very well from what I know. I know there's been some issues, but it's definitely a healthy group and we have more medical people, including the traveling doctor and the parents, on board this trip than necessary for one travel group. We will be catching up with the rest of our group today and are looking forward to hearing how they are doing and meeting their little ones.

We are skipping the tour today and relaxing. We really must get laundry done, now that the smell of puke has taken over the pile. We are anxious to visit Shamain Island and see what treasures we can find!

32 comments:

~ Alison said...

Happy Birthday, J !!

Special K said...

What a great way to spend a birthday!

Have fun on the island. Gives a whole new meaning to your "island time", doesn't it? LOL! Can't wait to hear what you buy. :)

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

Enjoy Shamian Island or what I call the oasis for the adoption weary!
:-)

Colleen said...

LOL - what Krista said about "Island Time"...

I am sorry - I did giggle at the puke thing. Its not funny - but you will both laugh at it one day. Poor little thing getting that upset.

I love seeing more pics! Hope you enjoyed the breakfast! I inhaled so much food those days at the WS. (well...for breakfast) Go to Lucy's. Get some NICE COLD BEER! I mean it is ice freakin cold. You will love it. Have fun - shop away... Can't wait to hear about your fun there.

Kim said...

LOVE the photos..
Happy Birthday J....
Sounds like things are going well... beside the 1 puking spell.. poor little girl..
Have fun shopping.. can't wait to hear about all the great things..
Hugs..

Daniella said...

Happy Birthday J! I had the same thoughts about "island time" :) enjoy. The new pictures with Eme and J are awesome.

stephanie and scott said...

Bless her little heart:(
Happy birthday, J! It will be one you never forget! I loved the fact that Guanzhou looked and weather wise felt like home!

Pug Mama said...

Happy Birthday J!!
That photo of Eme and J eating cake on the bed is the sweetest thing I have ever seen!!!!

Alyson and Ford said...

Love seeing the pictures!
Now to shop, shop and more shopping! Plus there is a Starbucks!
Buy for every birthday! We wished we had bought more! Enjoy!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Anonymous said...

Trac and J, love hearing about your days with Em. I think in some cultures puke is a sign of love. LOL... Enjoy your last couple of days!- pam

Robin said...

Ditto Colleens' comment about Lucy's... We ate there a few times while on Shaiman Island.

So sorry about the puking incident to daddy (and baby for being so upset) It does get better.. I promise!

Happy Shopping!

A Beautiful Mess said...

Enjoy the "island" it is just what one needs for the last leg of the trip!

Happy birthday J....sorry your got puked on.

safe and happy travels!!

Anonymous said...

if you read another blogs of other families in china right now basically none are paying as much attention (not even close) to what attachment experts say to do compared to what you are doing. so kudos to you, emerson is so lucky to have parents who are putting her needs first even though it is so difficult. happy birthdays!

Ellen in SoCal said...

Love the bow in Emerson's hair and LOVE seeing that she let her Daddy get that close. You guys all look awesome.

Melissa said...

Love the updates, sounds like everything is going well. Sorry to hear about the vomiting episode, but honestly how would you have known that was going to happen, but I am sure it broke your heart. Glad to hear that you found some good food. You don't want any Florida weather right now. It has rained everyday for the last week, lots of flooding. At least in the Central Florida area.

Shari U said...

Nice to see daddy getting to hold the girl. I'm sure that was a great birthday present! Emerson looks great and you just look so happy. I love checking up on you and reading your posts, I'm really thrilled for your family that you finally have that precious girl!

C's Mom said...

Sorry about the hurl :0(

Enjoy ...the island rocks.

Happy Birthday to J and a belated Happy, Happy to Eme too.

Kim said...

LOVE the photos..
Looks like you are having a great time..
Happy Birthday J....
Have fun shopping..
Hugs..

Kim said...

Sorry I left another comment.. I didn't know you changed it to approval.. I knew I left one.. but was like.. ok..maybe it didn't show up...LOL..
HUGS..

3 Peanuts said...

Oh T---have fun shopping:) SO sorry about the puke...that must have been awful. I know my boys loved the WS! I see another bow in Emerson's hair and I am lovin it;) Thanks for the photos and updates...I rarely check any blogs these days but I am checking her a few times a day!

Kim

3 Peanuts said...

P.S. Happy Birthday to J! I love them sharing the cake on the bed...SO CUTE!

Karen said...

Your pictures just melt my heart!

Debbie said...

thank you for sharing your journey ..i am loving checking in on you every night! eme is sooo sooo sweet! i am just so happy for you & your family!!!!!!!!!!!

EJ said...

What an awesome way to spend your birthday! The picture of J and Eme on the bed is priceless. Sorry about the puking incident. Enjoy your time on the island and have a ball shopping!!
Ellen

Luna said...

Happy Birthday, J! I love the photo of J and his girl sharing the cake. Too. Cute.

Enjoy your island time. Make sure you tell us all about your great shopping finds!!

redmaryjanes said...

She is so beautiful! You guys got there fast, we don't leave for another two weeks. It looks like everything is going wonderfully. I am so happy for you.

Joanne said...

Great pics - Happy B-day to both of you :) Enjoy the WS, I think you guys are going to LOVE it and the food is soooo good. Make sure to shop, shop, shop!! FUN!

kitchu said...

happy bday, J :O) Glad little Eme is making strides with him, it will keep coming in time. I know I haven't been a good commenter- I've been here... promise.

Love to all of you!!

laurie said...

Happy Birthday to J! Like everyone else I'm in love with the pic of the two of them sharing birthday cake...so sweet. I've been following Kristin, Mark,& Phoebe's blog for a couple weeks and wondered if they were in your group since their pics looked so similiar to yours. I so look forward to your updates T. Enjoy Guangzhou!

Liene said...

Glad she's getting more comfortable with J despite the getting puked on at the airport.

Enjoy GZ and make sure you buy lots of goodies to bring home. Not too much longer and Eme will be home with her big brothers!

Jewels of My Heart said...

Emerson is so beautiful! I didn't know she was from Shangrau. So is Hannah. All of your pictures of China are just breathtaking..... you got to see things that we had hoped to but our guide wasn't very good. I am so glad you were able to see more of your daughter's birth place.
Enjoy every moment. It goes by so fast.

Kristy said...

Happy Birthday J! I am so glad to hear that there has been some bonding going on with you two. It will only get better from here on out. I pray that my girl loves her mommy they way yours does.

Love and blessings, Kristy